Since the beginning of times, and the famous Nautilus of the Capitain Nemo, the man never cease to imagine
and develop ships that can dive and move in the deep of the Ocean....
The Subs ancestors :
- The barrel of Alexander invented by the engineers of
Alexander the Great in 325 BC. The legend says that Alexander the Great himself used this first diving bell in 325 BC.
- The diving bell developped by Edmund Halley (1656 - 1742).
The discoverer of the famous comet built a diving bell in which three men lived during one hour and forty-five minutes
under thirty feet of water....
- The Turtle conceived in 1775 par the American David Bushnell. This first
operational submarine attacked on Sptember 6th 1776 HMS Eagle, a british ship of 64 guns
- The Nautilus developped in 1797 by Robert Fulton, moved by
hand with three sailors.
- Le Plongeur built by the French Bourgois et Brun in 1863 (Air compressed
engine / 421 Displacement tons).
- L'Ictinéo First submarine using combustible (steam and peroxyde) launch
in 1867 by the Catalan Narcís Monturiol.
- Le Goubet construit en 1885 par Claude Goubet.
- Le Gymnote launched in 1887 by Dupuy de Lôme et Zédé, 51 feet long,
4 knots while diving.
- Le Narval built by Lauboeuf in 1904. This ships got
on steam engine and one electrical engine.
- La Méduse : Submarine of the beginning of the XXth century.
- U-Boote : The Unterseeboote : The German Subs
of the two World wars.
- Classe : U-Boot VII : The German submarine the most built and used
during the WW II.
- Classe : U-Boot XXI : The last German submarine of the WW II.
- Classe : SeeHund : A midget submarin from Germany.
- Classe : Kairyu : A midget submarin from Germany.
Cold War and Current subs
- Classe : Typhoon : The greatest submarine ever built.
- Class : Ohio : The current class of American SSBN (L-171;T-18750;V-25).
- Class : Virginia : The current class of American SSN (L-115;T-7800;V-32).
- Class : Redoudatble : Le Redoutable, the first SSBN of the French Navy.
- Class : Triomphant : Le Vigilant, lhe last SSBN of the French Navy.
- Le Nautilus of Twenty thousands leagues under the Seas.
- A very famous midget sub-marine !
- The USOS Seaview from Voyage to the bottom of the Seas.
- Aquanox : The world of our near future in the Abyss......
Some external URLs about submarines :